MEDIOCRITY: A SUCCESSFUL MAN'S CHOICE? NEVER!

   When I finished secondary education, it's no news that dealing with O'level results and JAMB would be the next thing, it's also no news that one passes these exams by luck, except you are exceptionally brilliant, a genius to say. I wrote WASSCE and NECO in my school, I didn't pass because there was mass failure (that was my excuse though). When I told my dad I failed because there was mass failure, he asked, "did everyone actually fail?", I could not answer. Then he asked me if it was a must I join the masses in failing, I still couldn't give an answer to that, but, I held on to those questions. I registered for WASSCE again, read, wrote and passed, I knew I got lucky, it wasn't as if I read so much. I sat for JAMB examination as well and I did pass. 
      I got admitted into tertiary institution, and, truth be told, I met unpleasant situations and stories, no one had a good news about any course there, I thought within myself "this wasn't what I heard about tertiary institutions, I heard it's a home of freedom", that was the exact mindset I had about tertiary institutions, but, I was hopeful, I told and assured myself I will be fine, my senior colleagues results got released few months after 100 level students had resumed and only few passed with credits, fewer ones passed excellently and others failed. I got scared, I got jittery, I started thinking in my head, is this what school life looks like? All these people are social, but, what is their stand academically? Fine, people say education doesn't guarantee success(that's not an excuse not to get educated), but, is this actually what I have signed up for as a fresher???  A particular issue came up that period that some of my senior colleagues were to choose some elective courses; while some were choosing a simpler course, just few chose a rather complex one, others kept luring them into choosing the simpler one, some even made jest of them because they thought they would fail. The pressure was high on them that one of those who chose the complex one made a statement that I held onto throughout my life as an undergraduate, well, I still hold onto it. The statement was "I will never stoop low to a level of a mediocre!" I sincerely felt those words. Don't forget I already held onto my dad's words about choosing not to be part of those who fail in masses. The combination of these statements pushed me through difficult moments in school, it wasn't easy, I must confess, no successful person gets to the top with ease. Whenever I feel like relenting, those words keeps coming back to my head and I knew that in no time, I would graduate.
      A particular decision kept me going as an undergraduate, and, that was the spirit of success. I never chose, worked and prayed for a lesser grade in school. Even after sitting for an exam that seemed to take ones life, I never prayed to have a C in the course. Even when I know I do not worth having an A in a particular course, I stood my stand and prayed for an A, that doesn't mean I would eventually get an A, but, I definitely would not fail. My mindset of never stooping low to a level of a mediocre led me on.
     I have never and never have I heard of a successful person who wanted to be an average person, searching through the successful people I know and youngsters, none of them in history chose to be an average person, none of them made excuses as well, even if downfall comes, they do not connect it to a reason, rather, they learn from their mistakes and try again.  That successful choice of theirs has made them who they are today and guess what? They are still not relenting. Search for the richest persons in the world today, even though there were downfalls, they still rose up and continued their races to stardom. 
      You fall to rise, rise to fall, but, never fall to fall!
Mediocrity is never a choice and would never be a successful person's choice. Janis Joplin once said, "Who you are is what you settle for." So, who are you?
A Mediocre, or, a person of excellence? 
Choose wisely!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A JANITOR; A CEO, TREAT THEM WITH THE SAME RESPECT!

A PIECE OF ADVICE TO SINGLE PEOPLE

Something to hold onto as the year begins.